How instrument hire works
How to apply, pay for and return hired instruments
We provide a hire scheme because we know that the cost of a musical instrument can be difficult for some families. The scheme can be a cost effective way of changing to a bigger instrument as your child grows.
You can use our hire scheme if you:
- have music lessons under a Hampshire Music Service contract
- are a member of our area or county ensembles
- are learning clarinet, oboe, or double bass at one of our specialist centres
- Apply for instrument hire
Complete and return the request form. The instrument hire request pack has full details about: making an application, payments, returns and terms and conditions.
The forms are processed on a first-come, first-served basis and hire is dependent on stock levels. When the instrument is ready to collect we will contact you.
Your personal information will be handled in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). See our HMS Privacy Notice for Instrument Hire.
- Collecting the instrument
You will need to collect the instrument from our Winchester office. The parent or carer who sent in the form must be the person to collect the instrument and sign the hire agreement.
You make your first hire payment at our office when you collect the instrument (by card, cash or cheque). We ask that you make all further payments through our secure Worldpay site.
- Ongoing payments
You will need to make the first payment on collection. We ask that you make all further payments through our secure Worldpay site.
We send a reminder by email before every term begins with a reference number to use to make your payment(s).
If you already have a payment reference, you can make an online payment now.
If the instrument you hire is not taken into school every week for your child's lesson, i.e. kept permanently at home, the hire fee will be subject to VAT at the current rate of 20%.
- Returning the instrument
Return the instrument to us when you:
- have reached the maximum hire period of two years (unless we have agreed to extend it)
- have ended lessons provided by us and/or are no longer a member of one of our ensembles or specialist centres
- need to swap to a different sized instrument
Please check that:
- you have no outstanding payments
- you have all the accessories listed in the hire agreement (you will be charged for any missing items)
- the serial number on the instrument matches the serial number on the hire agreement
Return the instrument to our Winchester office where it will be briefly inspected. You will be informed of any damage found that is not normal fair wear and tear either on return or within 10 days. We will contact you about the repair charge.
Please contact us via email before returning instruments to the Winchester office as you will need to book an appointment.
- Our office location and opening times
Our office is at the Falcon House, Monarch Way, Winchester, SO22 5PL
- Phone 023 8065 2037
- Email [email protected]
Opening times for instrument collection and return, including school holidays:
- Monday to Thursday 9am to midday, 2pm to 4.30pm
- Friday 9am to midday, 2pm to 4pm