History at River Hamble Country Park

River Hamble Country Park has a history that reaches far back through the centuries, with its location on the River Hamble providing access for many as a key piece of Hampshire's countryside.

Its first official use as a country park was in 1979, when it was opened as Upper Hamble Country Park. In later years, it would be called Manor Farm Country Park, and even today visitors to this special family and heritage attraction will make their way through the country park to arrive at the farm.

Manor Farm

Local landmarks, such as the ancient duckpond at Manor Farm and the neighbouring St Bartholomew's Church are mentioned in the Domesday Book, and there's even evidence of a Roman road running through the site, which would have been the route between the Roman settlements of Clausentum (Bitterne Manor) and Portus Adurni (Portchester).

Find out more

Grace Dieu

From the pontoon at River Hamble Country Park, you'll be able to spot the shipwreck of the Grace Dieu, King Henry V's flagship vessel. It was struck by lightning and burnt to the waterline in the 15th century.

Find out more

HMS Cricket

Another key element of the site's history is its involvement in the Second World War. HMS Cricket was a Royal Navy camp used to house and train up personnel involved in the 1944 D-day landings. Once decommissioned in 1946, the buildings left behind were used to house local residents who were displaced by the war.

Find out more