Re-register a birth

If you need to add a biological parent to your child’s birth certificate after their birth has been registered, we can help.

You’ll need to re-register your child’s birth to add the biological parent’s details to the birth record.

Types of re-registration

Re-register a birth to add natural father’s details

This is if the natural parents are unmarried and would like the natural father's details added to the birth record

Re-register a birth following the marriage or civil partnership of natural parents

When the natural parents of a child marry or form a civil partnership, there is a legal requirement to re-register the birth. It is a requirement to re-register the birth even if the child’s surname is to remain the same.

Book an appointment to re-register

To book an appointment please email Hampshire Registration Service at [email protected] giving your contact details (including your contact telephone number), the child’s name, date and place of birth. A member of the team will then contact you within two working days to arrange for you to attend one of our registration offices in Hampshire.