Giving notice

Giving Notice is when you sign a legal statement outlining your intent to marry or form a civil partnership. This requires an in-person appointment with a registrar, so cannot be done online, over the phone, in writing or by proxy. A legal ceremony cannot take place until you have given notice.

If one or both of you are NOT British, Irish or have EUSS (settled status, pre-settled status or has a pending application for settled status)

You will need to attend the register office together in the district where one of you lives. To enable us to help you book this appointment, please complete the enquiry form, giving as much information as possible. A member of the team will then contact you, to arrange for you both to give notice.