What should you do?
To report the death of a scheme member or pensioner, please telephone us on 01962 845588 as soon as possible.
We will ask you:
- the name of the member or pensioner,
- their date of death,
- their National Insurance number or pension reference number,
- if relevant, the name of the member's surviving partner and any dependent children,
- the name of the informant or the person dealing with the estate, their relationship to the deceased person,
- name, address and telephone number of the person we should write to.
What happens next?
Within 3 working days, we will write to the contact address given. We will:
- ask for a copy of the death certificate (a clear photocopy is acceptable), and other certificates we may need (for example, a marriage certificate),
- tell you if death benefits are payable,
- send claim forms for partner's and dependant's pensions, if appropriate,
- ask about anything else we need to know.
If the deceased person was a pensioner:
- the pension payments will be stopped as soon as possible,
- if any pension has been overpaid, this will need to be reclaimed, we will send you details in writing.
If death benefits are payable:
Once we have received:
- the fully completed claim form(s), and
- any certificates that we have requested,
we will assess the benefits due and write to the affected parties within 15 working days.