Partner's pension

New Police Pension Scheme 2006 (NPPS 2006)

Partner's pension

If you die your partner may receive a pension, payable for life. Partners include:

  • husband, wife or civil partner
  • nominated partner subject to certain conditions

If you are married or in a civil partnership, your partner will receive a pension if you die. You don't need to do anything for them to qualify, but please tell us if your partnership status changes.

If you are not married or in a civil partnership, your partner will only receive a pension if you nominate him or her – please see the section below.

Nominated partner's pension

Your partner may receive a pension if you die, even if you are not married or in a civil partnership.

For this to happen, you and your partner must complete a Nomination for cohabiting partner form, available on the Forms page.

The following conditions must apply to you:

  • You have cohabited for a period during which your partner has been financially dependent on you, or you have been financially interdependent
  • The relationship is a committed relationship intended to continue indefinitely
  • you each have mutual responsibility for the other's welfare
  • neither of you is married or in a civil partnership, and you are free to marry or form a civil partnership with each other
  • You agree to inform Pensions Services if the relationship ends

If you die, your nominated partner will be asked to confirm that the conditions still applied at the time of your death. Your partner may also be asked for information that confirms financial dependency or interdependency, such as confirmation of shared household spending or joint bank accounts.

When to complete the cohabiting partner nomination

You should complete the nomination as soon as you consider that your relationship is exclusive, committed and for the long term.

You should normally have cohabited for two years for your partner to receive a pension, but the police authority may pay a pension to a nominated partner in a shorter relationship.

Hampshire Constabulary would have to be satisfied that you were cohabiting in an exclusive, committed, long term relationship, and that your partner was financially dependent on you, or you were financially interdependent. The constabulary's decision will be final.

Age difference

If your partner is more than 12 years younger than you, his or her pension will be reduced to reflect the age difference. The reduction will be 2.5% for each year or part year over 12 years, up to a maximum of 50%.

Recent marriage or civil partnership

If you marry or enter into a civil partnership less than 6 months before your death, Hampshire Constabulary has discretion to withhold your spouse's or partner's pension.