Retiring summary

Police Pension Scheme 1987 (PPS 1987)

Your pension will be paid to you if you meet any of the following conditions when you leave service:

  • You have at least 30 years' service
  • You are age 50 with 25 years' service or more
  • Depending on your rank, you may receive a short service pension if you are age 55 or over with more than two and less than 25 years' service
  • Hampshire Constabulary is retiring you on grounds of ill health and has told you that you will receive your pension

You can choose to give up some of your yearly pension to provide a retirement lump sum. See Commutation.

How do I claim my pension?

You must inform Hampshire Constabulary if you decide to retire. Hampshire Constabulary will give you a form to complete. Pensions Services will write to tell you the amount of your pension and any lump sum.

  • If you are being retired due to ill health, Hampshire Constabulary will arrange a medical examination for you
  • If your deferred pension is due to be paid, write to Pensions Services rather than contact Hampshire Constabulary
How long will it take to pay my pension?

Once we have your form and the other information we need, it will take four weeks to calculate your benefits and pay any lump sum.

The lump sum cannot be paid until your retirement date, even if it is calculated sooner.

Once we have paid the lump sum, it will take your bank or building society up to four days (Monday to Friday) to process it and for the money to be available to you.

If you paid additional voluntary contributions (AVCs) we will request information from the provider to send to you. The provider will not deal with you directly. Your AVC benefits will be paid by the provider and will not form part of your police pension.

Can I have a pension estimate?

If you are thinking about retiring from service in the next year or two and would like an estimate, contact Hampshire Constabulary. Once we receive the information we need, we will process your estimate within three weeks.

  • If you would like an estimate because you are retiring due to ill health or efficiency, contact Hampshire Constabulary
  • If your deferred pension is due for payment, write to Pensions Services