Older person's bus pass
Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply for and renew a bus pass
- Who can apply
- Women at pensionable age
- Men at the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day
- When you can use your bus pass
The older person’s bus pass entitles you to free travel on bus services throughout England, including London, from 9am to 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays.
You can also use your bus pass on the following Community Transport services (further eligibility criteria may apply, please see individual services for information:
- Call and Go, for half fare travel
- Dial a Ride, for half fare travel
- Fleet Link, Yateley Shopper and Eastleigh Parish Links, for half fare travel
- Park and Ride services that are registered as local bus services (though you must still pay for the parking).
- Hampshire County Council Taxishare and carshare schemes.
The use of this pass on Community Transport services is an enhancement to the national scheme and is only available to Hampshire residents (excluding Southampton and Portsmouth) for journeys taking place within the county.
Older person’s bus passes are not valid on:
- reserved seat services i.e. coaches.
- temporary services running for less than six weeks (e.g. shuttle buses to special events and some tourist services e.g. New Forest Tour Bus)
- taxis, rail services, ferries, shopmobility, voluntary car schemes and the Hedge End Park Minibus Service
- Renewing your bus pass
Your pass will automatically be renewed after five years. Please ensure we have your current address details by notifying us if you move house.
If your health circumstances change you may be able to swap an older person’s bus pass for one of the disabled person’s concessions providing you meet the eligibility criteria. You will need to complete a new application form providing evidence of your disability and return your current pass.
- Lost or stolen pass
If you lose or damage your pass we will replace it at a cost of £11
- Payment can be made by credit/debit card by calling 0300 555 1376. The replacement will be sent to you within 10 working days
- You can apply in writing with your name, address and date of birth enclosing a Postal Order or cheque made payable to Hampshire County Council and send to Bus Pass Team, PO Box 696, FAREHAM, PO14 9PD (write your name and date of birth on the back). A photo is not required, however you can submit a new one if you want to
- If you find your bus pass the payment can only be refunded if it is requested on the same day as the payment is taken.
We will not charge this fee if the pass has been stolen, provided you have told the police and have received an official crime number for the incident.
- Apply for a bus pass
You will need to provide:
- a current passport sized colour photograph with your name and date of birth printed on the back
- proof of Hampshire address (e.g. copy of your driving licence or utility bill)
- proof of age (e.g. a copy of your driving licence or letter from the State Pension Service confirming your eligibility for state pension)
If you don’t have the above documents, you will need to provide alternative evidence. Your name and address must be the same as provided on your application form.
To apply by post please send a completed application form and all the relevant documents to: Bus Pass Team, PO Box 696, Fareham, PO14 9PD.
Please do not send original documents, they will not be returned to you.
Upon receipt we will review your application and if successful the bus pass will be posted to you within 10 working days. We will contact you if further information is required.