How to join the 50/50 section
The 50/50 section of the LGPS allows you to remain in the scheme but pay half your normal contributions and build up half the normal pension.
As a member of the 50/50 section you will benefit from the same:
- full ill health retirement cover,
- full survivor's benefits in the event of your death,
as if you were in the main section of the scheme.
If you choose to move to the 50/50 section, then your employer must move you back into the main section of the LGPS when you:
- reach the re-enrolment date that they have set,
- move onto nil pay whilst on sick leave, ordinary maternity/adoption or paternity leave (your employer will move you back to the main section of the scheme from the next pay period),
- elect to opt back into the main section.
Note, you will not be able to contribute to an Additional Pension Contract (APC) to buy extra pension in the LGPS if you move to the 50/50 section of the scheme.
What to do:
- Complete the LGPS 50/50 form, see: Election to join 50/50 section form
- Send the completed form to your employer, who will then adjust your pension contributions. Do not send the form to Pension Services.
I want to return to the main section of the LGPS
If you are in the 50/50 section and decide that you would like to move back to the main section of the LGPS to increase your pension benefits, please send the following form to your employer (not to Pension Services):
Opt out forms
- Please check if the 50/50 option would help you save for a pension at a reduced contribution rate.
- To opt out, complete an LGPS opt out form and return it to your payroll department who are responsible for opting you out of the scheme. You cannot opt out before you start work in your post.
- Hampshire - LGPS opt out form
- Hillingdon - LGPS opt out form
- Westminster - LGPS opt out form
- West Sussex - LGPS opt out form
Your employer is not allowed to give you an Opt out form.
What will happen next?
- your employer will stop collecting pension contributions from your pay and will notify Pension Services,
- Pension Services will write to you with details of any refund that you are due or the deferred pension that you have been awarded, depending how long you have been in the scheme, see: Opting out.