Forms for members of the LGPS

Please note that some of our forms do not open when using Chrome and you may need to use another browser.

Our policy when returning documents:

  • We will securely destroy any photocopied documents, rather than return them unless you have specifically requested us to do so
  • If we return documents, we will send them back using the same method as they were received
  • If we return documents, we will ensure that they are securely sealed
AVC transfer form

1. To transfer your AVC out of the LGPS.

Since 6 April 2015, LGPS members have been allowed to transfer the value of their in house AVC to another pension scheme while still remaining a member of the LGPS.

Please use the AVC transfer form (Transfer of an in-house AVC only to a pension scheme outside the LGPS - Hampshire / West Sussex

2. To transfer your AVC from one in-house AVC provider to another in-house AVC provider.

Cash equivalent transfer value (CETV) forms

Use these forms if:

  • you require a CETV for transfer purposes,
  • you are involved in proceedings for divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership, judicial separation or nullity,
  • an independent financial adviser asks you to obtain a CETV.

Please note you are only entitled to one free estimate within a 12 month period. Further estimates can be provided on payment of a fee.

You can find more information at:

CETV for active scheme member
CETV for deferred scheme member

Change of personal details

It is really important that you keep us up to date with any change in your address or name. Your employer does not do this for you.

The easiest way to change these personal details is through our Member Portal.

Alternatively, you can change your name or address by completing a 'Change of personal details form' and sending it to Pension Services.

If you are a current member of the scheme or you have a deferred pension (and you are not a pensioner), then you can change your address using:

Death grant 'expression of wish' form

You can use this form to make an expression of wish for any death grant payable.

Without a valid expression of wish, the death grant may be paid to the Executor or Administrator of your Estate (Grant of probate or letters of administration may be required).

The easiest and most secure way to complete this form is through our Member Portal

Join the 50/50 section or opt back to the main section

Member election to join 50/50 section

Complete this form if you wish to leave the main section of the LGPS and move to the 50/50 section.

Once completed you must send this form to your employer who will adjust your pension contributions. Do not send it to Pensions Services.

For more information, see: Information on the 50/50 scheme

Member election to opt back to the main section

Complete this form if you wish to leave the 50/50 section of the scheme and move back to the main section of the scheme.

Once completed, you must send this form to your employer who will adjust your pension contributions. Do not send it to Pensions Services.

Nominated cohabiting partner form

If you live with your partner but you are not married or in a civil partnership, they will only receive a pension if your relationship meets certain conditions at your death.

You can let us know your current circumstances by completing a Nominated cohabiting partner form. Please note that there is no requirement to nominate a cohabiting partner to enable them to receive a pension in the event of your death. However, you may complete this form to help with the administration of benefits if you were to die.

If you die, your partner will need to be able to demonstrate that, for at least two years:

  • both you and your partner were free to marry each other or enter into a civil partnership with each other, and
  • you and your partner were living together as if you were husband and wife, or civil partners, and
  • neither you nor your partner were living with someone else as husband and wife or civil partners, and
  • either your partner was financially dependent on you or you were financially interdependent.
Opting out of the pension scheme

For information and forms on opting out of the Local Government Pension Scheme, see: Opting out.

Pension transfer booklet to transfer into the LGPS

If you have previous pension benefits, you may wish to transfer them into your current LGPS pension fund. Transfers must be made within your first year of LGPS membership in your current employment, unless your employer has a published policy to extend this period.

To investigate transferring previous benefits please read this booklet and use the form at the back of it.

If you are a member of a "Club" pension scheme and wish to transfer to the LGPS, it is essential that you contact us before you complete this form.

Further details and a list of "Club" schemes can be found here.

Report a death form

See Report a death

Retirement declaration form - claiming your LGPS pension

This form provides us with information and options for your retirement. It must be completed before we can process and pay your retirement benefits.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) require us to check if the total amount of benefits due to you from all registered pension schemes exceeds a Lifetime Allowance set by HMRC, as tax charges may apply.

Therefore, in the retirement declaration form you are asked to state your pension entitlement to any other pensions.

You will need to complete a separate declaration form for each LGPS pension you claim.

There are notes on the form to explain the information you need to give.

Please complete the form not earlier than 3 months before your intended retirement date.

The easiest and most secure way to complete this form is through our Member Portal.

For further information on the retirement declaration form, click here: Retirement Declaration form - further information.

Starter information booklet

This booklet:

  • introduces the Local Government Pension Scheme
  • provides information on your options for any previous LGPS membership

Within 12 months of joining the LGPS you must complete a Membership option form. The easiest and most secure way to do this is through our Member Portal (select "Membership details" then "update my Membership option form").

You can also complete the Membership option form in writing and post it to Pension Services:

You may also wish to complete:

Topping up your State Pension

If you contributed to the LGPS before 6 April 2016, you may not be entitled to receive the full State Pension. This is because the LGPS was a contracted out pension scheme until 5 April 2016. If you contributed to any contracted out pension scheme then your State pension may be reduced.

If you are concerned about the State Pension benefits you claim – or are due to claim – then this guide may be helpful:

Guide to topping up your State Pension 

If you have any queries relating to your State Pension you will need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions.