My LGPS pension

How will my pension be paid?

Your LGPS pension is paid directly into your nominated bank or building society account and is taxable. 

Pension is paid either:

  • in arrears on the last working day of the month, or 
  • in advance on the 1st of every month (or on the last working day before the 1st, if the 1st is a weekend or bank holiday)


Payslips and P60s

All your payslips and your P60 can be viewed or downloaded for printing through our Member Portal.

Our Member Portal allows you to manage your pension at a time and place that suits you. See: Member Portal information for help registering. 

If you are unable to use our Member Portal then you can write to us (not email) and ask to receive paper copies of your payslips. Please include your National Insurance number. We will then post you:

  • a payslip twice a year, before the April and May payments are made,
  • your P60 after the end of the tax year (usually May) and
  • a pensioner newsletter

For an explanation of your payslip see:

Example payslip

Your payslips provide you with important information about your pension and you may need to show them to third parties, for example, to claim housing benefit.

Your P60 is produced after the end of each tax year and shows you the amount of pension paid and tax deducted during the year.

If you have any queries regarding your tax, you should contact HM Revenue and Customs.

Starting a new pension

The first payment of your pension will be made as soon as possible, on the normal payroll run date after your retirement.

If you retirement date and the payroll run date have already passed, then payment of any pension due will be made at the end of the following month.

What about tax?

Your annual pension is taxable income. We use the tax code supplied to us by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). If you believe that your tax code is incorrect then you should contact HMRC on 0300 200 3300.

Any under or over payment of tax will be collected through the payroll, provided the correct code is received in the current tax year.

When we initially set up your pension record on our payroll, HMRC instruct us to use the emergency tax code 0T on a week 1 month 1 basis (unless you have retired from active employment and your former employer has forwarded us your P45 detailing your tax code). We then send all your details electronically to HMRC who will make an assessment and inform us of the correct code.

HMRC instruct us to set up all children's pensions on the tax code 1257L.

If you contact HMRC you will need to provide:

  • your National Insurance number
  • the Scheme description = LGPS
  • the PAYE reference as follows:
For PAYE reference
Hampshire members 663/ZH310
Hillingdon members 120/FA74972
West Sussex members 120/RB92403
Westminster members 846/VZ44848


National Fraud Initiative

It is a government requirement that we send details of pension payments to the Nation Fraud Initiative to compare with the records of other public bodies to prevent and detect fraud.

Please include your National Insurance number in all correspondence.